Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Week 4 Response

  I was pleasantly surprised at how “readable” I found Writing For Story to be. It didn’t take me a long time to read and it clarified a lot of writing aspects that I struggle with. I was most influenced by the chapters that focused on structure and outline. I was struck by Franklin’s statement “words are not, repeat not, the basic unit of literary structure” (93). So often when I’m writing (whether it be journalism, poetry or a critical essay) I find myself stressing over word choice. In each phase of revision I change more and more words (often the final change is reverted back to the original word in the first draft) in hope of sounding original. However, after reading Franklin’s chapter about structure, I realize that word choice, though important, is not critical to a story’s success.  Structure, however, and establishing a clear focus, is imperative.
  I think my greatest struggle as a writer thus far is focus. Therefore, while outlining could help aid me in my focusing dilemma, I’m intimidated by the process. My approach to writing is what Franklin deems “spaghettiing.” I knock out a terrible first draft and then I edit (and edit, and edit, and edit, and edit, etc.) until I’m either pleased with the outcome or so disgusted and tired of my work that I can’t look at it any longer. Writing can thus be a long and tedious process for me sometimes. I think that the dramatic outline that Franklin describes in the chapter would greatly benefit me. I really struggled with my personal essay, and wasn’t too pleased with the outcome. Something about it didn’t sit well with me. After reading the outline chapter I realized what was wrong: my complication didn’t match up with my resolution. Dramatic outlining is definitely something I need to start doing; however, I know that it will be difficult for me stay within the 15 words. I tend to complicate things -- I like to use a lot of adjectives and words in general when I’m writing. I’m the kind of student who has to find ways to play with font and margins to make her paper appear shorter. The dramatic outline will definitely be a challenge to say the least. With that being said, I know that once I get the hang of this outlining technique my writing process will be a lot less painful, and hopefully the structure of my writing will have a clearer focus. 

4 comments:

  1. Hola Suzanne,

    I agree that Writing For Story was a quick read and a wonderful source of clarification.

    Also, I do the exact same thing as you when I write--I nitpick at my words, I pound out a first draft, and then just edit edit edit.

    However, I'm a little nervous about the outline because I feel like I'll get set parameters in my head and lose developments of the story. It's definitely an approach I will try but with a bit of apprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also very nervous that I'm going to be so invested in outlining things that I forget to, like, actually write. Because outlines are fun, ya know?

    Glad everybody's pro-editing? Very curious as to whether there's anyone in the class who's going to disagree with statements like: "structure is crucial."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very self-conscious about my word choice too. I think another important point that Franklin makes is that action is vital to telling a good story. Description just won't cut it, and that's something that I've been thinking about a lot since I read this.

    I feel the same way about outlining too. I haven't done much of it, but I'm afraid that I might feel limited by it at first. Like anything, I'm sure it's a process that we'll be sure to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like what Franklin has to say about word choice versus structure/outline. I think that beginner writers are often too focused on using words that sound good, to the point where their word choice becomes unnatural or ingenuine. Readers can tell when a writer isn't being honest with herself.

    Also, I loved the chapter about the outline because, even if you don't write an outline for everything you undertake from now on, you'll probably start to approach your stories with that framework at least in mind, and just being aware of the need for structure is really comforting.

    ReplyDelete